Thursday, October 23, 2014

High Goals = High Self Worth

I am a very goal driven person. If I set a goal, I want to reach it. It helps me stay focused and motivated. Something to reach for. Something to be proud of once it's accomplished.

Well, if it's accomplished.

For the past couple months, I have been setting mileage goals for myself to run. Fifty in August, seventy five in September, now eighty five for October. I had to push it to reach September's number. Now I'm reaching the end of October with a little less than halfway to go still. I don't want to accept defeat. I'm not sure if it's possible. I'd have to do five miles a day for the rest of the month. I don't want to give up. I want success.

I can't get hung up on "if onlys". It's too easy to slip into that. We can't change the past. If I went back and redid the month, I would do it differently. Unfortunately, that's just not an option. Time to face facts - there is almost no chance I can get to eighty five miles this month. Almost no chance.

There is a slim chance though.

Why not try? Why not just go for it? There's a possibility of success here. Yes, it's a long shot. Yes, it's going to be a struggle. Yes, I might fail. If I give up now I fail anyway.

And what if I do it? What if I achieve the goal? No reward. Nothing tangible. I could tell people sure, I could tell you. It doesn't matter,in the scheme of the world, whether I reach eighty five miles or not. It means a hell of a lot to me though. I may not get anything but pride out of it, but that's enough.

Eight days. About 35.77 miles to go (I use the Nike app to keep trackAdd Me). That's 4.47 miles a day (had to use a calculator). Challenge accepted (HIMYM reference).

Set goals. And then kick butt to meet them. It's not easy. Who wants easy? Do you care about it? Are you passionate about it? Then don't let yourself give up. Don't get beaten. There are some things in our control even when most of our lives are out of control. Take it.

No comments:

Post a Comment